Use less CPU—in fact, use about 30-80% less CPU
Driving consumer demand for innovative and rich digital electronics is the broad deployment of multimedia capable mobile wireless technologies (Internet browsing) and synchronized high def (HD) streaming video and audio. To deliver on the expectation of digital convergence, manufacturers of consumer electronics face a number of challenges.
- Designing and developing grapical displays for resource-constrained embedded devices
- Managing and decreasing power consumption is critical to the success of electronics products
- Keeping pace with rapidly changing consumer requirements (e.g. achieving contracting market windows)
- Delivering an innovative and superior user experience (UX) at an affordable price (e.g. competitive differentiation)
- Working with tools that aren't portable across a broad product portfolio (e.g. an OS-agnostic/hardware agnostic solution will deliver substantial competitive advantage)
How does Crank StoryBoard Suite help manufacturers of consumer electronics?
The Crank™ Storyboard™ Suite is comprised of two modules that form a UI development optimization solution for developers of products that require an embedded dynamic graphical display for resource-constrained devices.
- Memory requirements scale to your needs. Expect about 200-500K depending on the profile plus the sum of all of the grapical assets on the current displayed screen. Minimizes impact on bill of materials (BOM).
- Crank Storyboard Embedded Engine is native-UI technology, which delivers 30 frames of animation per second on low-end hardware. To make a comparison, Adobe Flash delivers one or two frames of animation per second on low-end hardware.
- GPU hardware optimized
- Embedded Engine uses approximately 30-80% less CPU. It understands CPU usage, memory utilization, graphical display depth, hard offloading, embedded architecture, and communication optimized hardware. Embedded Engine utilizes the hardware to increase the performance and capabilities. An example of this is a slide from one screen to another—it can be done using the hardware layers found on most ARM processors and allows for smooth screen transitions with next to no CPU usage and zero dropped frames.
- Decreases development time because the UI designers and embedded systems engineers work in parallel as opposed to an iterative approach. Working in parallel enables UI designers to do what they do best, and enables engineers to do what they do best. The end result: the best possible graphical display that delivers on the goal of an innovative and superior user experience (UX) to achieve brand-loyal customers.
- Clean design, clean architecture, and drag-and-drop functionality
- The OS-agnostic Embedded Engine supports any hardware your OS supports
- Portable across your product portfolio—reuse and customize graphical display to leverage your investment in R&D
- Runtime buyout license
Delivers competitive advantage.
- Accelerates time to market
- Achieves a high ROI
- Achieves a low TCO
Ready to learn more?
Read about Crank Storyboard Suite, the product that is bridging the gap between UI design and embedded systems.
Read about embedded development consulting, the expert services that ensure you deliver a superior customer experience while hitting your market window.
Read about WebKit ports and services.
Read about open source ports and services.
Sign-up to stay up to date with Crank news, updates, product and service information