Design Simulation

Questions and information about Crank Software's Storyboard Designer

Moderator: jamiev

Design Simulation

Postby timmac » Mon Apr 09, 2012 12:32 pm

Hello,

I am creating a UI Simulator for our customer. Basically, they want to be able to mock up the UI, send it to other
team members to run (via sbengine.exe) and exercise via the keyboard, evaluate for feedback, and update as necessary.
Currently there are 23 screens, the target will be an iMX25 with an 800 x 480 LCD and touch screen.

The screen content is not yet complete - it is being provided by an ID firm at a later date and will be delivered as
Photoshop files.

If I create a project now to simulate what the end project will be (with all the state transitions and variables being
controlled by the keyboard), will I be able to easily import the Photoshop files into this existing design, or will I have to create a whole
new project at that time (when the Photoshop files are completed by the ID firm).

Thanks,

Tim
timmac

Re: Design Simulation

Postby jason » Mon Apr 09, 2012 2:46 pm

Hi Tim,

You'll probably need to create a new project since the PSDs file you are going to receive will have little similarity to the prototype you made.

If you imported a PSD file and later updated some images you can do an other import, but this time set the the PSD import options in the Preference Dialog to
- Only import images from file
- Overwrite existing images

This would keep all the same placement of controls but update the images.

This is an area we will be working on in our next few releases to better enable moving and back and forth between Photoshop and Storyboard.

Regards,
Jason
jason

Re: Design Simulation

Postby timmac » Mon Apr 09, 2012 3:00 pm

Jason,

I had a feeling that this would be the case, but just wanted to check to see if I could avoid some extra work.

Creating our UI Simulator should give me an excellent opportunity to become familiar with Storyboard Designer.

Thanks,

Tim
timmac

Return to Storyboard Designer