i.MX53 Linux OpenGL ES 2.0 - Setup

Questions and information about Crank Software's Storyboard Engine

Moderator: jamiev

i.MX53 Linux OpenGL ES 2.0 - Setup

Postby jason » Thu May 24, 2012 1:43 pm

This post explains how to get going with the Freescale i.MX53 QSB using the Storyboard 2.0 or greater. This is assuming you are using the default Ubuntu SD card shipped with the board.

The version of Storyboard you will need to use is under the "Storyboard Engine" directory in the install root of your system and is called "linux-fsl-armle-opengles_2.0-obj"

When you boot this board it will come up to a standard Ubuntu desktop. Storyboard doesn't require X11 and goes direct to the OpenGL ES render so you'll want to stop the desktop from the serial console. To do this run the command

/etc/init.d/gdm stop

Now since Storyboard runs without X11 so you need the gpu patch that does not reference X11. You need to go here to get it:

http://www.freescale.com/webapp/sps/site/prod_summary.jsp?code=IMX53QSB&fpsp=1&tab=Design_Tools_Tab

Then download:
Updates and Patches
IMX53_LINUX_1109_BSP_PATCH

Unpack the downloaded archive and you will get a second archive called: L2.6.35_MX53_201112_Patches.tar.gz
Unpack this archive and you will find: amd-gpu-bin-mx51-11.09.01_201112.tar.gz
This is the archive you need to unpack and use on the target, it contains the libraries we need. Place the contents of the patches /usr/lib/ into a directory on the target filesystem. Then set LD_LIBRARY_PATH to point to this directory.

Once the patch is installed and the gdm desktop stopped you should be able to follow the standard instructions to launch your Storyboard application
jason

Re: i.MX53 Touchscreen

Postby jason » Thu May 24, 2012 1:48 pm

To get the touchscreen to work with Storyboard you need to have libts on your system. The Ubuntu image shipped with the i.MX53 QSB does have the libts, however the version is not the same as what we linked against. Luckily they are close enough that you can get away with copying the creating a link with the new name.

cp /usr/lib/libts-0.0.so.0 /usr/lib/libts-1.0.so.0
jason

Return to Storyboard Engine